-->

Saturday, March 15, 2014

International Food

Hello Vibe & Siobhan

Whoa first blog post ever? I hope I do you guys justice..
For my first post I thought I would take some Pictures of an international dinner I had with some uni friends yesterday. We started out with my friend Anania from Italy making some delicious handpies/calzones.. I don't remember the exact name, but they were delicious! I had one with tuna and olives, and one with ham and tomato. Very good! I'll try and get the name, and possibly a recipe for those cause I think you would love them!
For the main course, I had to showcase my cooking abilities. It was not my brightest moment, but my friends seemed to like it. I made Frikadeller, with potatoes. In my home that's what we usually have with them, no Salad, and not usually any sauce. Anywho the potatoes turned out to be good for mashing, so that's what i ended up doing.. Today I will only give you the 'recipe' for Frikadeller.
I say 'recipe' because I usually eyeball it with frikadeller and the amounts for them..


Frikadeller
 - 500g of pork mince
 - 1 yellow onion
 - 1 egg
 - Breadcrumbs
 - Flour
 - Milk (Or Water)
 - Salt & Pepper
 - Dried Thyme
 - Optionally 1 clove of Garlic



I couuld give you estimates of the amount of breadcrumbs, flour, and milk, but really it depends on how wet your onion is. Basically you want to start out by making a 'slush' of the onions, garlic, flour, egg, breadcrumbs, and your spices. It should be like a clumpy gravy. Then add your meat. Once you've mixed it all together form balls. I usually use a spoon, and the palm of my hand to make them. Into a frying pan they go, with some olive oil and butter, and give them 5-6 minutes per side. I usually just go by colour, and not so much time.



For dessert my friend Maria from Portugal made some traditional portugese desserts including lemon pudding (Made with condensed milk I believe), and these custard tarts. I was so full, but I did taste the tarts and they were delicious!

For the next dinner it will be American & Scottish/British that will be served, and I'm crossing my fingers they decide on brunch! I mean English breakfast and American pancakes?! Hello food coma!

Also just a side note, I made way too much mash, so for dinner today I made potato cakes, just form balls of the mash, dust them with a bit of flour, salt & pepper, and fry them up! There really isn't a lot that can beat fried/baked mashed potatoes, yum!


I hope you're doing great, I miss you guys!
Love Ann
 

No comments:

Post a Comment