-->

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Thai Green Curry


Dear Vibe,

As I am sure you are aware, curry holds a very special place in my heart. Half of my family being British, it almost seems my duty to make/consume/think about/purchase/crave Indian curry on a fairly regular basis. Although I don’t do these things quite as often as some of my family does, my love for Indian food tends to resurface fairly often. As you may have noticed, however, this blogpost is not about Indian curry. No, my friend, this blogpost is about Thai curry.

Yes, Thai green curry. Albeit not quite as much as Indian food, I have also grown up with a fair amount of Thai cuisine, and when I saw that the fabulous guys over at www.sortedfood.com had done a recipe for a Thai green curry, I knew I had to try it. You can watch the video recipe here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7nN1puv-3o&feature=player_embedded

Recipe adapted from www.sortedfood.com

INGREDIENTS:
Green curry paste
1 can of coconut milk
Soy sauce
Fish sauce
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 tsp brown sugar
A handful of string beans
2 chicken breasts
1 aubergine
1 lime
2 cups jasmine rice
A handful of fresh coriander

RECIPE
Start by setting the rice to cook however you normally do, or however it says on the packet. One of these days I will share with you the right  my way of cooking rice. 

Throw about 2 tablespoons of the green curry paste in the pan with a splash of oil and fry it for a couple of minutes. You can of course make your own curry paste easily, as was done in the original sortedfood recipe. The other times I have made this recipe, I have made my own paste. However, my blender has been taken hostage, and let’s face it, using the storebought paste is just easier sometimes.



After the paste has fried for a couple of minutes, pour in the coconut milk, a splash of soy sauce, a splash of fish sauce, the lime leaves and the brown sugar.



While this is cooking, you can top and tail the string beans, and dice the aubergines and the chicken. And as always, when cooking with raw chicken, it is so important to wash your hands and keep your workspace clean. Hygiene is everything!



When you have diced everything up, throw it in the curry and let it simmer for a few minutes, until the chicken is lightly poached.



Now here comes the best part. Are you ready for the best part? Here it comes. Taste the curry. It’s good. But it’s missing something. It doesn’t really taste like a proper green curry. Now squeeze the juice of the lime, the whole lime, into the pot. Taste it again. Stare at the curry in awe for a moment, and then swear to never, ever forget the lime.



 I always find it amazing, how much the juice of one lime can change the flavor of the dish. It really brings the flavors together and finishes it off, making it taste like a proper green curry. After this, just throw in some chopped coriander, and you’re ready to go. Serve with plenty of the jasmine rice, and if you like sprinkle on some more coriander.



This is such an easy and delicious meal for both experienced curry consumers and those who are new to its glory.

Enjoy!
Lot’s of love,
Siobhan

No comments:

Post a Comment